Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Little Sugar In Your Bowl

To my many fans out there, all three of them, John, Ryan and Matt, I am back from my hiatus on blog writing. I've been listening to all sorts of stuff and I have lots to share but I wanted to kick off my return with a bit of a tribute to an artist and album that for many years has reminded me why I love music so much. The artist is the undeniable Miss Nina Simone and the album is The Blues
When I was nineteen I overheard a song in some British film that moved me instantly. I didn't know the name of the song or who sang it, but I knew that I had to do everything to find it and own it. The song was "I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl" and when I heard it I thought the singer was male because of the deep throaty voice, which to the seasoned music lover, was recognizably Nina Simone. Thanks to the two guys at the Bop Shop in Rochester the very next day I owned it. I remember that when I first listened to the album, I couldn't believe how much I loved every single song.
The Bluesstarts off with a validation of lustful attraction with the song, "Do I Move You”, Where Nina asks "when I touch you, do you quiver, from your head down to your liver?" Then she goes on to demand "the answer better be yeah, that pleases me." This was certainly a new sound of expression, at nineteen, I never heard before. I instantly liked every feeling. "In The Dark", is another song of bursting passions, with lyrics like "in the dark I get such a thrill, when he presses his fingertips against my lips and he begs me to please keep still."
ThenThe Blues goes on to prove it's point with "My Man's Gone Now", a real cry out of heartbreak.
In the middle, the album turns to political protest, with "Backlash Blues." In this song, Nina sings about the hardships her race has faced at the hands of the "man" or "mister backlash." It's in this song that the strong piano presence begins to be heard. It's even more ever so present in the following song "I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl", a slow surrender of longing. You can feel her deprivation for being touched.
Following a few more dead on blues songs comes the song, "The Pusher", a song about how there is a fine line between chasing a buzz and chasing a demon. Nina explains painfully, that the Pusher “takes your body and he leaves your mind to scream.”
The album winds down with some more traditional and equally telling blues songs until it reaches a testament of avail in "I Shall Be Released". This is one of my favorite songs on the album because it gives me a sense of triumph over adversity, "I seen my light come shinning, from the west down to the east, any day now, I shall be released."

Nina is a real blues artist, with true conviction and pain in her voice.


Nina Simone – Do I Move You

Nina Simone – In The Dark

Nina Simone – Backlash Blues

Nina Simone – I Want A Little Sugar

Nina Simone – The Pusher

Nina Simone – I Shall Be Released

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

she's fascinating... i believe that she played and recorded blues/jazz songs primarily to fund her classical piano education, does anyone know if this is true?

September 3, 2008 at 12:17 AM  
Blogger John Z said...

Like Jerry Lewis she was huge in France!

September 3, 2008 at 7:29 AM  
Blogger John Z said...

How about a little content in my blog?

September 12, 2008 at 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home