Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dazed and Confused

I got into my car this morning and decided I would listen to the radio since I'm either listening to my Ipod or one of six cd's my car stereo plays. Before you ask "why would you listen to the radio?" let me explain. My car is also equipped with Sirius Satellite and I will occasionally listen to the Indie Rock station Left Of Center, but just like commercial radio those jackasses are obligated to play what the studios pay them to play. It's usually the same 14 radio friendly, newly released, Indie songs on heavy rotation i.e. The Ting Tings, Vampire Weekend, Band of Horses or some bad 80's throw back electronic band etc, etc.
So this morning I quickly scrolled down the set stations on my radio in search of a righteous song...1st Wave (Old School Alternative), Alt Nation (New "Something" Alternative), Coffeehouse (30's Something Alternative) and then CLASSIC VINYL (Real Classic Rock).
I was just about to turn off the radio and then Led Zeppelin's "Dazed and Confused" had come on. Sigh of relief. As I listened to this song for the duration of my ride to work I realized just how fucking dazed and confused popular radio has become. Where's the revolutionary, groundbreaking, history setting music of the Zeppelin days? How did we end up with Katy Perry's "I kissed a Girl" as the most requested song on popular radio? (And now the #1 song on the Billboards top 100) Yahoo News
This really set me off today and I'm sure I'm not alone. Do the record executives really believe this is what we want to hear? Who is signing this shit and why? Where are the protesters to overrule these judgments?
In case you have forgotten, here is something to remind you of what popular music today is not nor will ever be.

Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home